Since I officially leave for Colombia tomorrow I have been giving a lot of thought to things I will miss here in Minnesota/the States (and it doesn't help that I can't sleep due to nerves...weird that I'm not using this time to pack...whoops) I have also been thinking a lot about my upcoming experience and all of the great things it will lead me to...here are both lists!
Things I Will Miss
- Each and every one of my wonderful friends & family members
- Watching my brothers become these amazing young men who look less & less like the little boys I grew up with
- Fall leaves turning colors
- Caribbean Passion smoothies @ Jamba Juice
- Oktoberfest festivities in La Crosse
- Singing/dancing at assorted 3rd Street establishments in La Crosse with the Main/Vine girls
- Texting (slightly embarrassing but I will seriously miss texting!)
- TV shows! I am so weirdly addicted to a ridiculous number of shows...One Tree Hill, How I Met Your Mother, Private Practice, Grey's, Gossip Girl, The Office, Entourage, Brothers & Sisters...
- Annual Dorle family North Shore trip
- Watching Love Actually every week in December with Kirsten
- Cities 97 Acoustic Sunrise & Sunset radio program (I hope this will stream online...to South America)
- Opening Day @ the MN Twins new ballpark
Things I Can't Wait to Experience
- Meeting my students because as cheesy as it sounds, I became a teacher because I love helping kids learn. Helping students learn is literally what motivates me to get up before the hour of 9 am on most days :)
- Meeting all the other new teachers!
- Finding my way around my my new neighborhood when I locate an apartment. I really want to become a solid regular at a good coffee cafe, I sincerely hope this works out.
- Hearing Spanish spoken all around me!
- Cafe con leche
- Traveling around the country of Colombia
- Having my very own classroom for the first time ever...where I don't have to move around between class periods and I know where everything is!
- According to my guidebook...somewhere in the Amazons there are pink dolphins. I plan to find them and take pictures. I really hope this isn't some myth crafted by the writers @ Lonely Planet.
- That feeling I will get about a month in when I feel like I really belong in Cali and all my old nervousness will seem silly.
- Salsa dancing. Perhaps in two years in Colombia I will learn to dance, or at least enough rhythm to fake it? We shall see, but either way I'm going to give it my very best shot!