April 12, 2010

Over the Weekend: Apartment Hunting

Moving. Ugh. I detest it. I hate packing up everything I own into little boxes to be transplanted to some new location only to open them again and set up. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my new surroundings once I am there. And I love exploring new areas and trying out new places - its just that getting there is such a process. Moving always makes me wish I owned less stuff. After moving all four years in college, moving to Colombia in August, and moving again in January, I felt like all I did in life was pack and move from one place to the next.

Well, that time of year is here again. The lease on the apartment I currently live in with Steph & Hana expires at the end of July. Next year, I plan to live with my friend Kelsi, so this weekend we spent some time apartment hunting. Apartment hunting in Cali is a bit different than in the States because people here are more reliant on word-of-mouth and foot traffic than they are on printed or online advertisement. The Cali newspaper El Pais offers some listings, but without complete details, without pictures and without addresses. (Ridiculous, I know.) As a result, we spent most of our Saturday morning and afternoon walking around my neighborhood looking for 'To Rent' signs. We found some places we are interested in seeing, but we did not get to look at very many since it was a Saturday and not much business happens here on the weekends. The nice thing about the word-of-mentality is that if people around happen to notice you looking for an apartment they are usually more than willing to give auggestions, offer advice or even walk with you for a little while (Yes, this actually happened on Saturday!).

This week we will continue the search in hopes of finding ourselves a decent looking, 2-3 bedroom with a balcony and hopefully a delightful rooftop. Here's hoping!
Happy Monday!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails