April 12, 2010

sweatpants! sweatshirt! socks! oh my!

The rainy season has arrived here in Cali, Colombia and call me crazy, call me dreary, call me Eeyore (Winnie the Pooh reference - anyone?), call me Seattle-bound (I'm not), but I am L-O-V-I-N-G it! Everyday, usually in the evening or during the night, the intense Cali heat subsides and gives way to massively delicious grey rain clouds and it POURS. Lightning, thunder, the whole works. I love rain storms - there is just something about the fresh, crisp water falling from the air that makes me feel like anything is possible, like anything can happen.
Here in Cali, the rain not only makes me want to lie in bed and daydream for hours, but it also provides a huge relief to the normal heat of the city. Yesterday after a huge rainstorm mid-day we opened all the windows and I spent the rest of the day in my University of Wisconsin - La Crosse sweatpants, socks and Minnesota Twins sweatshirt. Living in weather that constantly feels like summer definitely has its perks, don't get me wrong.
However, when we get to the heart of the matter, I am a Minnesota girl at heart, and us Minnesotans, we don't mess around with our seasons.
There are four of them and sweatshirts are standard wardrobe material for at least three. I spent most of Sunday reveling in the fact that whenever I felt just the slightest chill in the air I could snuggle into my warm clothes.
*Disclaimer: I think it was probably still like 65 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday - which after a long Minnesota winter feels like beach weather. However, after 7 months at 80 or above, 65 felt like bundle up weather to me. This makes me realize that the first winter back in Minnesota is probably going to kill me slowly - I am going to need an apartment/house with a fireplace and a good coffee shop next door. Add that to the future plans. Awesome. Blossom.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails