September 10, 2009

Oh field trips.

Yesterday we took the whole 8th grade on the first field trip of the year.  Here in Colombia it was called a convivencia and it wasn't so much a field trip as it was an effort to start the students out on the right note and provide them time to be together as a class.  Since the class of 100 is divided up into sections of 20 students, and these sections remain the same for all core classes, students appreciate time to hang out together outside their sections.

We started the day at school and watched Pay It Forward, a great movie with an important message, but not necessarily the movie I voted for on a day to hang out and have fun. (I voted for Sandlot)  After the movie we discussed in groups, then headed off to Club has volleyball courts, a golf course, soccer fields, a river you can swim in, and a pool, so the students enjoyed themselves.  Really my only complaint with the day were the large group games.  Our counselor planned the games, and I just don't think the activities were as well planned out as they could have been.  For example, we did this hula hoop game where you stand in a circle and hold hands then pass a hula hoop over your body to the next person and so on.  I have played this game before in small groups of 8 to 10.  We played with the entire class and the teachers.  About 110 people. B.O.R.I.N.G.  The students hated it and not even I can fake that much enthusiasm.  :/

HOWEVER:  After the group activities I did enjoy spending time with my students in a non-school environment and it helped me to understand them more as people.  I really do have great students, and it makes me so happy to get to know them as people.  I decided to be a teacher not necessarily to drastically change anything, or because I think Algebra is going to single handedly fix the world, or because I like to hear myself talk.  Rather, I just love kids, and I think they are some of the most inspiring and wonderful people on the planet.  Sometimes I think I would love to trade places with them and do it all over again.  You never realize how many memories you're making until they've come and gone.

Anyway, enough reminiscing about days gone by!  I'm off to a Skype date and then aero rumba class at the gym.  Maggie is headed to the airport with a scratched cornia (For those who remember---picture me with hot red eye and that's how she feels) to pick up her boyfriend Mark, who is going to be staying with us for the next three weeks!  Yay!  We are so excited to have visitors!  Look forward to a guest post from Mark on his thoughts on living with us in the next few weeks.... :)  

Happy Thursday friends!

Some photos from the convivencia...

Girls swimming in the river.
Large group circle.
Lunch!
Lunch with some lovely ladies

This is what 8th grade girls do in the pool...
This is what 8th grade boys do in the pool...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails